An estimated 1.2 million Hispanics of Colombian beginning lived in the usa in 2017, based on a Pew Research Center analysis of this U.S. Census BureauвЂ™s United states Community Survey. Colombians in this analytical profile are individuals who self-identified as Hispanics of Colombian beginning; this can include immigrants from Colombia and people whom trace their loved ones ancestry to Colombia.
Colombians will be the seventh-largest population of Hispanic origin surviving in america, accounting for just two% associated with the U.S. population that is hispanic 2017. Since 2000, the Colombian-origin population has increased 148%, growing from 502,000 to 1.2 million on the duration. At precisely the same time, the Colombian foreign-born populace residing in the U.S. expanded by 99%, from 383,000 in 2000 to 763,000 in 2017. The nationвЂ™s largest Hispanic origin group, constituted 36.6 million, or 62%, of the Hispanic population in 2017 by comparison, Mexicans.
Colombian-origin population into the U.S., 2000-2017
|Foreign born||U.S. born|
Pew Analysis Center
Listed here key facts compare demographic and financial traits of this population that is colombian-origin the U.S. aided by the traits of U.S. Hispanics and also the U.S. populace overall. It’s centered on Pew Research Center tabulations associated with 2017 United states Community Survey. Key points consist of:
- Among Hispanics into the U.S., about 33% are foreign created, weighed against 61% of U.S. Colombians.
- About 43percent of foreign-born Colombians are typically in the U.S. for more than two decades, and 60% of foreign-born Colombians are U.S. residents.
- About 16% of U.S. Hispanics many years 25 and older have developed at the very least a degree that is bachelorвЂ™s weighed against 33% of Colombians.
- Among Colombians many years 25 and older, the U.S. born are more most most most likely compared to the born that is foreign have a bachelorвЂ™s level or maybe more (42% vs. 30%).
- The median annual personal earnings for those ages 16 and older was $25,000, compared with $28,600 for Colombians among U.S. hispanics.
- Taking a look at full-time, year-round workers, U.S. Hispanics obtained significantly less than Colombians ($34,000 vs. $40,000).
- The share of U.S. Hispanics whom reside in poverty (19%) is higher than among Colombians (11%).
- About 10% of U.S.-born Colombians are now living in poverty, because do 12% of foreign-born Colombians.
- The rate of homeownership among U.S. Hispanics (47%) resembles the rate for Colombians (48%).
- Among Colombians into the U.S., prices of homeownership are reduced for the U.S. born than international created (48% vs. 49%).
Top states of residence
- The population that is colombian focused in Florida (31%), ny (14%) and nj-new jersey (12%).
- The age that is median of Hispanics (29) is gloomier than that of Colombians (37) additionally the U.S. populace (38).
- U.S. Hispanics many years 18 and older are less likely to want to be hitched (46%) than Colombians (50%).
- Among Colombians many years 18 and older, those people who are international created are more inclined to be hitched compared to the U.S. born (56% vs. 36%).
- About 7% of U.S. women that are hispanic 15 to 44 gave delivery when you look at the year ahead of the July 2017 United states Community Survey. The price for Colombian ladies had been 5%.
- About 70% of U.S. Hispanics many years 5 and older talk just English in the home or talk English at the very least вЂњvery well,вЂќ contrasted with 62% of Colombians.
- Likewise, 64% of Hispanic grownups are English proficient, since are 57% of Colombian adults.
Down load the information
Other U.S. Hispanic reality sheets
- Facts on U.S. Latinos
- Origin group-specific reality sheets:
Pew Research CenterвЂ™s reality sheets on U.S. Latinos and the associated we blog post examine the Latino populace regarding the United States general and also by its 15 origin groups that are largest вЂ” Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Salvadorans, Cubans, Dominicans, Guatemalans, Colombians, Hondurans, Spaniards, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Argentines and Panamanians. These sheets offer detailed geographical, demographic and characteristics that are economic all Latinos as well as for each Latino origin team. They’ve been according to Pew analysis Center tabulations regarding the U.S. Census BureauвЂ™s 2010, 2015 and 2017 United states Community Survey (ACS) plus the 2000 U.S. census that is decennial.
The ACS could be the biggest home study in the us, with an example of greater than 3 million details. It covers the topics formerly covered into the long kind of the census that is decennial. The ACS is made to offer quotes regarding the size and faculties associated with population that is resident including individuals residing in households and team quarters. To get more information about the ACS, like the sampling strategy and linked error, look at 2010, 2015 or 2017 United states Community SurveyвЂ™s Accuracy Statement supplied by the U.S. Census Bureau.
The precise information sources of these reality sheets would be the 1% types of the 2010, 2015 and 2017 United states Community Survey (ACS) Integrated Public utilize Microdata Series (IPUMS) given by the University of Minnesota as well as the 5% test of this 2000 census that is decennial. IPUMS assigns uniform codes, into the degree feasible, to information gathered by the decennial census and the ACS from 1850 to 2017. To learn more about IPUMS, including definition that is variable sampling mistake, please look at the вЂњIPUMS Documentation and User Guide.вЂќ
As a result of variations in the way in which IPUMS and Census Bureau adjust earnings data and assign poverty status, information supplied on these subjects might vary from data which are supplied by the Census Bureau.